Roman Houses at the Celio

TheAuthor / Archeology, Roma / / 0 Comments / Like this

This place is an archaeological complex located under the Basilica of Saints John and Paul, in Rome. The complex is identified according to tradition with the place where the saints lived and were buried, after having suffered martyrdom there during the reign of Emperor Julian the Apostate (361-363 AD).

The area has been discovered in 1887 by Father Germano of St. Stanislaus, rector of the Basilica. It consists of more than 20 underground rooms on various levels, some of which are frescoed with paintings dating between the 3rd century AD and the Middle Ages.

Official site

Leave a Reply

Not allowed. This entire site is distributed under a CC License Creative Commons Attribution - Non commercial - Share Alike 3.0 Unported (see footer).