Acquedotto Vergine (Aqua Virgo), Roma

TheAuthor / Archeology, Places, Roma / / 0 Comments / Like this

It was built under Agrippa and inaugurated on 9 June 19 B.C.; it originally served the area known as Campo Marzio. The actual name was given by Niccolò V in 1453, who entrusted the work to Leon Battista Alberti, and increased its capacity.

Restored again by many Popes after him, in 1936 was extended as far as the Pincio. It is the only one of the eleven ancient aqueducts still in working order.

Today, it feeds large and small fountains in the Trevi, Colonna and Campo Marzio areas: the Trevi Fountain and the Barcaccia fountain in Piazza di Spagna, the Quattro Fiumi fountain in Piazza Navona, etc.

Leave a Reply

Not allowed. This entire site is distributed under a CC License Creative Commons Attribution - Non commercial - Share Alike 3.0 Unported (see footer).